Friday, August 30, 2013

Exercises For Your Write-Brain


   
     
By Maggie

In my last post, I talked about how I`d finally fallen in love with the good ole writer`s prompt. I know, but I always catch up eventually. When Kerrie Flanagan recommended The Write-Brain Workbook by Bonnie Neubauer, I decided to check it out.

As it turns out, these prompts get into our cluttered brains, cut through the backlog of mind crap, and muscle their way directly to the Room of Creativity. Oo... Tell you more...

This fun workbook, the cover tells us, contains ``366 exercises to liberate your writing.`` Each page is beautifully illustrated, and the prompts and their directions are imaginative and easy to follow. You can start your daily page at the beginning or just pick a page that looks good that day. If writing everyday is your goal or you are in the depths of a writer`s block, get this book. Don`t you think it`s time to remember how fun writing can be?

As an example, I`m turning to Day 241 for your amusement:

Mix-and-Match Music

Write down the following.
Something you buy in a bakery:
A smell from a museum:
An automobile manufacturer:
Something people use to adorn themselves:
An expression that is overused:
A sound from a child`s toy:

Use all six items in your writing. Start with:
       The music was loud...

I`m happy with this book, and maybe you will be, too. Does your creativity need a little spark?








3 comments :

Unknown said...

I love writing prompts! Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Patricia Stoltey said...

Prompts used to intimidate me so much that I'd freeze and be unable to think. Now I find them fun and a good way to come up new ideas. This sounds like a good book to check out.

Susan Vittitow Mark said...

I've had this book for a while. Love it. I also made myself a tub of writing prompts on slips of paper for when I get stuck. Right now, I've got some stories going so I haven't needed them, but nice to have them.

Share a Post