Friday, January 11, 2013

The Year of Kainós

Post by Kerrie

I learned a new word a couple of weeks ago that has stuck with me and got me thinking.

kainós 

It's an adjective that means substance of a new kind, unprecedented, novel, uncommon, unheard of, new (especially in freshness).

It was like when Coca-Cola tried to reinvent itself back in 1985 and came out with New Coke. They were hoping to create something fresh for their consumers, but unfortunately it was not well received and three months later, Coke went back to its old formula. Even though their attempt at creating something new failed, I applaud the company for trying to shake things up.

My plan this year is to do something similar with my writing life.  I intend to change it, make it new and fresh. But unlike Coca-Cola, my plan will work

I have reflected on my life as a writer over the past decade and began evaluating what has worked and what hasn't. Now I am in the process of figuring out how to reinvent myself. (Maybe the first step is to change my name to Kainós Kerrie).

One new thing is this blog. We have a new blogging team and after a couple years away, I am once again a part of it. I have committed to posting every other week and I look forward to this chance to express myself and the deadline associated with it.

I am also looking at different ways to publish my writing. It is time for me to stop fishing in the same pools where I haven't even gotten a bite and find different markets where I can submit my articles and personal essays. Independent publishing has always appealed to me and this year it is a route I plan to take for a few projects.

Overall, I am excited about the year ahead and am looking forward to seeing what Kainós Kerrie can accomplish.

What are you doing to freshen up your writing life?  

p.s. I wonder if I can add a fishing reference into every blog post this year?


9 comments :

Jenny said...

Love the new word! I don't quite know what my plan is for this year, but I think I need to find some new pools, too.

As far as Coke goes, I'm not sure a soda company should shake things up :-)

Luana Krause said...

I am also reinventing myself by focusing on my strengths: screenwriting and playwriting. Although I enjoy writing fiction, I think narrowing my focus is the way to go.

Patricia Stoltey said...

It's good to see you back on The Writing Bug, Kerrie.

I'm polishing and submitting short stories just to get out of my rut. And I'm experimenting with different genres. In my case, I think my focus was too narrow. I'm more excited now that I have new challenges.





Kerrie said...

Luana and Pat thanks for sharing how you plan to reinvent yourself this year. They are some good ideas.

Jenny, I am sure you will figure out something. You are right that a soda company shouldn't shake things up. :-)

Dean K Miller said...

The logical "me" says that like a river, we are different every moment, every day, always changing...and always perfect.

But we, especially as writers, tend to not let ourselves flow around obstacles, finding new routes to reach our destination with the least resistance.

Instead we struggle against blocks, dams, empty screens and blank pages.

Good for you to open the dam gates, let your writing flow where it needs to. An ocean of success awaits your arrival.

My own journey includes reading more diverse genres, pushing the envelope on my own blog and reach out to other writers to support them and learn from that experience.

Lynn said...

Fish away, Kerrie. I love an extended metaphor!

I'm taking a new class through the local (Cheyenne) community college. It's a two-part creative writing class combining nonfiction (something I've explored a lot) with poetry (something I've never written).

So I'm freshening things up by approaching poetry, a genre that feels scary and foreign to me. Wish me luck!

Kerrie said...

Dean, wow--you should be a writer or something like that. ;-) I love this, "An ocean of success awaits your arrival." I am going to have to post that somewhere.

Lynn, good for you for trying new genres.

It is nice to be back on The Writing Bug. :-)

Jerry Eckert said...

Life sometimes seems a series of accidents, and my recent trail of happenstance led me into children's short stories. Eight year old grandson Wyatt, in his second grade writing class, wrote and illustrated his first book, "How the Rattlesnake got its Rattle" and dedicated it to me for Christmas. Written as a Pueblo Indian legend. Very cool and exceptionally well done for 2nd grade. Having an unpublished story giving the geological history of the Great Sand Dunes done in the voice of a native American creation myth, I polished it up and sent to him. Now his little brother, Cody, wants "his own legend" and since he is into music, his will be a Navajo legend of "How the Wind Chime Came To Be." I think they both came out really well and my critique group (two kids, aged 8 and 5) are thrilled. So, maybe I will further explore this niche in 2013.

AJ Feldmann said...

I recently saw the da Vinci exhibit in Denver. The idea that someone could have such a marvelous brain and imagination was a true epiphany. I had high expectations going in, yet I got chills when I realized the depth of the inventor’s ingenuity.

Leonardo was so far ahead of his time I left buzzing with the inspiration of possibility. His work made me realize that the solutions are out there, we just have to make them up.

This concept of solutions is easier said then done--I can’t decide on a layout for my blog--but Leonardo’s ability to not only overcome the tremendous creative inhibitions presented by the 15th Century, but also from the human mind, was inspirational.

Whether I can translate da Vinci-inspired chills into writing success I don’t know, but as far as an approach to being creative I feel re-energized and re-committed. I want to harvest any inventive potential I can.

Da Vinci drew his ideas from intense observation so I plan to observe lots of ideas (many people refer to this as “reading” and “listening”) in the coming year.

Tomorrow, I am going to see the Vincent Van Gogh exhibit. I figure the next best thing to being a legend is to bask in the works of the legends. Perhaps it’s even better.

At any rate, studying the efforts of great artists and thinkers is its own reward, but maybe the tiniest sliver of their creativity and persistence falls off and lands on anyone who appreciates it.

Share a Post