Friday, December 14, 2012

Realistic Writing Goals


  By Maggie

It turns out I’d pretty much forgotten what it takes for my body to recover and regroup. My expectations weren’t realistic going into this foot surgery. Even though I’m healing well, I wasn’t ready or able to do things in the first two weeks post op that I’d looked forward to doing. And, as usual, I’m disappointed in myself. Like other times I’ve felt suspended in a slow-moving pattern of uncomfortable healing, fatigue, and low productivity, I learned lessons. And these lessons apply not only to my post op self, but to my writer self, as well.

How are you when it comes to asking for or accepting an offer of help? I’m not very good at being the one helped after decades of working as a nurse, but I’m working on that. Still, I need to remind myself that I’m not a complete Maggie at the moment. Friends have been invaluable. My husband has been my go-to guy at home, and I’ve learned to thoroughly appreciate his support and his efforts. I have many writer friends, beginner to accomplished, and, as I’ve said before, I learn from each of them. The same way that I ask for and get help at home right now, I need to seek support from other writers when my writing is in danger of running amok. How do I know if I’m writing my characters down a totally wrong path? Makes sense for me to ask other writers what they think before it becomes a complete rewrite. Or, at the very least, reconnect with the people who can help me, even if that’s another writer who’ll listen and give me the honest opinion that I need.

Getting around on a bum foot has reminded me that healing takes as long as it takes. Period. I have to pretty much do what I’m told to avoid setbacks. Meeting my writing goals has and will continue to take as long as it needs to take. My job is to do what the experts advise and remember that I’m not going to get to where I need to go if I stop moving forward.

So, as I recover from my surgery and look at my writing goals, again, I promise myself to be more patient and realistic about the time things often take, ask for help when I need to, and keep on truckin' down the road to publication.

7 comments :

Donna said...

Hoping for a full recovery quickly. But, having had foot surgery...and not that major even...I know that can take a long time for healing. You need lots of helpers. And also, being a fairly new older writer, I know that I need assistance with technique and focus! So here's to having the wisdom to rely on others when we need to!

Patricia Stoltey said...

Maggie, I've been so out of touch I didn't realize you were going through foot surgery. I can only say "ouch" and I wish you a very speedy recovery.

Lydia Kang said...

I hope you feel better soon! I too have to remind myself to be realistic about goals.

lbdiamond said...

It's hard to recognize when we need rest, sometimes. Hope you feel better soon. :)

Elise Fallson said...

Sorry to hear about you having to go through surgery, but I do hope you recover soon. I tend to be a tad on the impatient side, especially when it comes to my writing and to complicate matters I'm fairly pessimistic about it all too. Sometimes I have to take a deep breath and try to put things back into perspective and not be ashamed to just give myself a break once in a while.

Nicole said...

Patience is definitely a key factor in writing. Hope you recover soon!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

We can't do it alone. Now, stay off that foot!

Share a Post