Friday, May 4, 2012

Friday Fun

Everyone worked hard this week and needs a laugh, right? (Even if you didn't, go ahead and raise your hand. I won't tell.) Here are a few funny quotes about writing:

“The freelance writer is a man who is paid per piece or per word or PERHAPS.” --Robert Benchley

“If you can’t annoy somebody, there’s little point in writing.”--Kingsley Amis

“Your manuscript is both good and original, but the part that is good is not original, and the part that is original is not good.”– Samuel Johnson 

"I have been correcting the proofs of my poems. In the morning, after hard work, I took a comma out of one sentence…. In the afternoon I put it back again.”– Oscar Wilde 

“No passion in the world is equal to the passion to alter someone else's draft.”– H.G. Wells

“I never write 'metropolis' for seven cents when I can write 'city' and get paid the same.”– Mark Twain 

“From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it.” – Groucho Marx 

“A writer is a person for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people.”– Thomas Mann

“Only a mediocre writer is always at his best.”– W. Somerset Maugham

“There are no dull subjects. There are only dull writers.”– H.L. Mencken

“Cut out all these exclamation points. An exclamation point is like laughing at your own joke.”– F. Scott Fitzgerald

And, in honor of Saturday's Kentucky Derby:

“The profession of book-writing makes horse racing seem like a solid, stable business.”– John Steinbeck

Happy Writing!
Jenny

4 comments :

Name: Luana Krause said...

Jenny, great post. You made my Friday! Funny stuff. My fave is Samuel Johnson: "Your manuscript is both good and original, but the part that is good is not original, and the part that is original is not good."

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I reflected a lot on that Oscar Wilde quote while working on line edits last month. I'm pretty sure I lived that quote!

Linda Osmundson said...

Great post, Jenny.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Very nice choice of quotes, Jenny. The one from H.G. Wells strikes home.

Share a Post